In recent Advatera meetings with communications managers, the use of ChatGPT for generating text, particularly press releases, was discussed. ChatGPT is a language model created by OpenAI, capable of generating human-like text based on input.
For optimal results, here are some tips to consider:
- Provide context to ChatGPT by giving detailed information. For example, when writing about an event, don’t just include the name but also specify that it is a conference.
- Provide as much information as possible. While ChatGPT can generate text with minimal input, providing more detailed input will result in a more individualized outcome.
- Ask ChatGPT for further ideas and structure if you have content ideas.
- Treat ChatGPT like a colleague by providing feedback loops and asking for clarification when necessary.
- In case ChatGPT breaks in the response, simply ask it to move on from where it stopped.
- Specify the length of the text and the intended audience to generate a more targeted response.
- Providing a style reference can be useful. For example, using an old press release as a reference for structure and wording style can help ChatGPT produce a similar tone.
- Use ChatGPT for translations
- ChatGPT is also good in re-writing content in plain language
- Consider skipping the first paragraph of the output of a ChatGPT text and always ask for shortening texts, writing them more precise. While humans often use introductory paragraphs to ease into a topic, GPT has learned this pattern and may also write lengthy introductions.
While ChatGPT cannot replace human writers, it can be a useful tool for anyone who needs to produce quality text quickly. By following these tips, you can improve the quality of your texts and save time.
In addition to these tips for writing with ChatGPT, it’s important to remember the general rules of good writing:
- Plan your writing: Before you start writing, plan out what you want to say and how you want to say it. This can help you organize your thoughts and produce a more coherent and structured piece of writing.
- Know your audience: Understanding your audience and their interests, preferences, and expectations can help you create content that resonates with them and is more effective in conveying your message.
- Keep it simple: Writing in a clear, concise, and straightforward style can make your content more accessible and engaging for readers. Avoid using jargon or complicated language that may confuse or alienate your audience.
- Edit and revise: No one writes a perfect piece of content on the first try. Editing and revising your work can help you catch errors, refine your ideas, and improve the overall quality of your writing.
- Get feedback: Getting feedback from others can help you identify areas for improvement and refine your writing style. This could be from colleagues, friends, or even online writing communities.